Friday, February 13, 2009

Pensacola Naval Air Station - Day 3

Okay...it gets cold in North Florida. It had to be in the high 30's when we awoke this AM. But the air was crisp and we were up and at' em before the sun came up.

As Bonnie cooked breakfast outside I made the coffee and watched the birds.

The sun came up at 6:30AM. I could hear the chirping of our avian friends but because they were between me and the sunrise I couldn't really see them. I saw what appeared to be a Scarlet Tanager or maybe some species long thought to be extinct. It was dark red with a beak like that of a Grosbeak. I ran to the trailer to get my camera so that I might capture this historic moment on film.

My search yielded...a common Cardinal. Had I listened to the call (a quick chip, chip) I would have known. With all the different birds here I am sorry that I put my Eastern Bird book in storage.

While breakfast was outstanding, we grilled Brats for lunch and Bonnie cooked a Peach cobbler in her new Dutch Oven. I love food experiments!

After breakfast we walked along the white sand beaches toward the East, past the Pensacola Lighthouse. The water was cold! One thing I didn't like about the Ft. Myers area was that the Gulf of Mexico was way too warm! Almost bath water in the summertime!

Fort Barrancas is on this base along with a separate Redoubt. I don't have the Points of Interest information yet but I'll have more later, with pictures, I hope. The National Aviation Museum is here and the base is home to the Navy's Blue Angel Squadron. Some of these buildings have to be from the Civil War era or at least the late 1800's. There is a National Cemetery here as well.

There is nothing more sobering than line after line of neatly placed headstones honoring all of our fallen military heroes and veterans.

The campground is very nice and is full. Everyone is quiet. I wish I could say the same for the aircraft. 7 a.m. launch time continues all day. But there is something to be said for the security of camping on a military base.

Last night Bonnie and I were driving on base at "Evening Colors". This is sunset when the National "Colors" are hauled down for the evening. It's a solemn moment when all vehicular traffic must stop and people walking on the street turn and salute the lowering of the flag, if in uniform, or uncover (remove hats) and cover their hearts in reverence to our nation's flag. I was pleasantly surprised when ALL of the young sailors, soldiers and airmen responded appropriately. After the signal to "carry on" there was a resounding "HOOO YAH"! I loved it!

The sailor today seems to be more physically fit and more concerned about his or her appearance then in my day. They certainly take more pride in their uniform than we did.

At 6:15PM the sky is dark and it is getting chilly. It will probably drop into the 30's again tonight.

The good, or bad depending on your point of view, thing about cold weather and pop-up camping is the cold. We have a heater and we could probably run it all night but I think I'll run it before we go to bed and then again in the morning to cut the chill.

I remember when we camped with Connie and Adam in Yellowstone National Park. They slept by the furnace and Bonnie and I slept by the thermostat. It was cold. Several times during the night Connie made Adam get up and turn off the heater by turning down the thermostat. That would wake me up and I would just reach out and reset the thermostat. Gee, what fun times! I think I'll break out the extra blanket tonight.

I'm going to talk Bonnie into visiting the lighthouse tomorrow. We'll take the walking path down and maybe even get some pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure I was trying to get Adam to turn UP the heat not turn it off!! I needed the heater running for two reasons 1. to stay alive 2. to drown out the snoring so I could get some sleep!

    Well it is Valentines Day officially. So Happy Valentines Day and Happy Anniversary! It sounds like the two of you are having a pleasant and relaxing trip. I hope it continues to be a fun trip. Have a wonderful day.

    Love,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete